- Site number:640
- Area:2,680,911 ha
- Designation date:30-11-1993
- Coordinates:01°41'S 45°04'W
Reentrancias Maranhenses. 30/11/93; Maranhão; 2,680,911 ha; 01°41'S 045°04'W. Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network Site; Area of Environmental Protection. A complex estuarine system of extensive islands, bays, coves, and rugged coastline covered mainly by mangrove forest. The site is of great importance for numerous species of fish, shellfish and migratory birds. The manatee (Trichechu manatus) is also present. Local communities practice subsistence fishing. Ramsar site no. 640. Most recent RIS information: 1998.
- National legal designation:
- environmental protection area
- Last publication date:01-01-1998